Thursday, March 29, 2012

Austin's Flat Stanley in Pennsylvania

Hello Ms. Rollins
My name is Christine Modica, and I am Austin Modica's cousin from Pennsylvania!  My family was so excited to receive Flat Stanley in the mail, well it was more me since I am a senior at Lebanon Valley College on my way to becoming an elementary school teacher.  I took Stanley with me to many places, and I numbered the pictures so I could tell about Stanley's story  First, I took Flat Stanley to Valley Forge, Pennsylvania which is significant as the site of the 1777-78 winter encampment of the Continental Army under General George Washington where the Revolutionary War was fought.   I took Stanley there, before I took him to college in central PA. 
 
 Picture #1 is Stanley standing in front of the battlefield. 
 
 
 Picture #2 is Stanley learning about the army and the grand parade.  
 
 
PIcture #3 is Stanley learning about the commander in the army.  
 
 
#4 is Stanley and me standing in front of one of the log cabins where the soldiers stayed and slept during the war. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 #5 is also a picture of us standing in front of one of the many log cabins.  
 
 
 
 
#6 is Stanley and me inside one of the log cabins where soldiers slept. 
 
 
 
 You can see how small the beds are in #7 where Stanley decided to take a rest on the top bunk made out of wood and nothing else, he said it was not very comfortable. 
 
 
 #8 is Stanley on his way to Washington's Headquarters where it is believed that George Washington ran the army and slept during the war.  
 
 
 
#9 is Stanley with the flag that George Washington and his army held while in the war.
 
 
 
  #10 is a picture of Stanley standing in front of the room where George Washington ran the army where political documents were signed and looked over by George Washington and other commanders in the army. 
 
 
 
 
#11 is Stanley in the kitchen where Washington ate and talked with his fellow commanders.
 
 
 
  #12 is a picture of Stanley in George Washington's bedroom where he slept during the cold winter of the Revolutionary War. 
 
 
 #13 is a picture of Stanley in another room of the headquarters where other generals and commanders of the war slept.  
 
 
#14 is of Stanley in another bedroom, which was said was also used for meetings and storage. 
 
 
 
 #15 is of Stanley standing in front of the small attic of the headquarters where it is said the slaves of George Washington slept and lived.  It is also said that since this room is so small, the slaves would often hit their heads when they got up to go serve the commander and generals and would have huge bumps on their heads.  
 
 
#16 is Stanley in the kitchen where the slaves would prepare all the meals for George Washington and the others living in the headquarters. 
 
 
 
#17 is Flat Stanley with my student teaching kindergarten class at East Hanover Elementary in Jonestown PA.  This is in central PA, about an hour and forty five minutes from Valley Forge and my hometown of Collegeville, PA in southeast PA.  My kindergarteners were so excited to meet Flat Stanley and take care of him in their classroom.  He learned math and reading from these students and had a great time playing with them. 
 
 
 #18 is a picture of Flat Stanley in my dorm room reading about Math and Psychology at the same time so he can come back and teach your class about those subjects.  
 
 
He said it was a lot harder than Ms. Rollins classroom.  I had some free time in school, so I took Stanley to Chocolate World since it is only 15 minutes away, where Hershey chocolate bars and various candies are made and produced for the world, which is picture #19 and #20. 
 

 
 
Thank you so much for allowing Flat Stanley to travel to Pennsylvania and have a great time in college and learning about the historical nature of Valley Forge, as well as traveling to Chocolate World and East Hanover Elementary.  I hope this helps with the geography project in the classroom. 

 
-Christine Modica

No comments:

Post a Comment