Tuesday, March 13, 2012

More Adventures From Australia

 
Dear Ms Rollins/Damion
 
I've had a really busy weekend here in Brisbane. On Saturday, I went to a Roller Derby bout.  


 
 Then on the way home we went to see some kangaroos but there were none out so I got my picture with a street sign  where my host lives instead. 
 
 
 
 
 The Redlands (the city where I'm staying just east of Brisbane) has the largest Koala habitat in the world. There are only around 20,000 koalas now so we have a few koala reservations around here. We see them in the gum trees around the suburbs but not as often as we used to. There are a lot of wallabies around this area though. We had an early night because we had to get up really early the next day to catch a barge over to North Stradbroke Island for breakfast then a day at the beach swimming and fishing.
 
North Stradbroke Island (aka Straddie) is a 40 minute barge (car carrying) ride from Cleveland. There is also a Water Taxi, but we needed to take a car over this time. Cleveland is the suburb next to where I'm staying. Here is some history on North Stradbroke Island - http://straddieonline.com.au/AboutStraddie/StradbrokeIslandHistory.aspx
 
We got over about 8am and went to Amity Point for a BBQ breakfast. I wanted my picture taken on the barge on the way over because there was another barge in the water going the other way.
 
 
 
 There was a big ramp that gets lowered for the cars to drive off onto the island  
 
 
 At Amity there was a big blue boat with nets off the back. They were trawling for shrimp. They're called prawns here, ... I'm learning a lot of new words here as well! 

 
  I saw a Galah hanging out with the seagulls. They are a pink and grey bird and squark a lot. 
 
 
 
  I also saw another barge pull up with cars on it. This barge had come over from Moreton Island to bring cars over to visit Straddie. There is no other way to get there ... Unless you fly in a plane or helicopter. It's nice that there is no bridge because it stops a lot of people getting there and protects the island a bit too. A lot of the land is still owned by the Aboriginal people and has been closed off to people visiting. The Aboriginal people were the first people living on the bay islands here.
 
After breakfast we went around to the surf side of the island for the day to swim, fish and hang out. 
 


 
 
 We went for a walk up into the camping area to have a look at someone's camp fire and in the tree was a Goanna. (ie. A really BIG lizard) He was just sitting in the sun on the branch of the tree. There are a lot of Goannas on the island and they sometimes get into your camping area to steal food so everything has to be locked up tight! 

 
 I thought I'd climb a tree too 
 
 
Tonight I met up with my host's friend who will be taking me to Mumbai in India tomorrow. She said I might even get to meet one of the captains flying the plane. I'm pretty excited about this trip to India but I'll be back in Brisbane for a few more days afterwards before I come back to the US.
 

Until next time
Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment